Saturday, February 5, 2011

It Won't Be Like This For Long



This morning I was getting ready for work.
Addi and Matt were playing toys in her room and she said she wanted to dance with him.
He flipped on her little Hello Kitty CD Player.
I had an old CD I had made a while ago and on came a song that we all love by Darius Rucker called "It Won't Be Like this For Long."
About half way into the song I went in to see what they were doing.
Matt was laying on the floor singing the song to Addi and she was laying by him giving him hugs, singing with him.
My heart MELTED.
Here we were on this Saturday morning, barely 7 a.m. in this little house, where times are sometimes tough, and when at times I feel like we just don't have it all together like some people, and all of that went away in an instant. I saw my whole world right in that little room, laying on the floor together. I knew I would be late for work if I didn't hurry. But today I didn't care. I went and lay down on the floor beside them and played the song over.
If you haven't listened to this song, and you have kids, it is a MUST!
I will post the lyrics:

He didn't have to wake up He'd been up all night
Layin’ there in bed listenin’ To his new born baby cry
He makes a pot of coffee He splashes water on his face
His wife gives him a kiss and says It gonna be OK

It won’t be like this for long One day we'll look back laughin’
At the week we brought her home
This phase is gonna fly by So baby just hold on
‘Cause it won't be like this for long

Four years later ‘bout 4:30 She's crawling in their bed
And when he drops her off at preschool She's clinging to his leg
The teacher peels her off of him He says what can I do
She says now don't you worry This’ll only last a week or two

It won’t be like this for long One day soon you'll drop her off
And she won’t even know you're gone
This phase is gonna fly by If you can just hold on
It won’t be like this for long

Some day soon she'll be a teenager And at times he'll think she hates him
Then he'll walk her down the aisle And he'll raise her veil
But right now she's up and cryin’ And the truth is that he don't mind
As he kisses her good night And she says her prayers
He lays down there beside her ‘Til her eyes are finally closed
And just watchin’ her it breaks his heart Cause he already knows

It won’t be like this for long
One day soon that little girl is gonna be All grown up and gone
Yeah, this phase is gonna fly by So, he's tryin’ to hold on
‘Cause it won’t be like this for long





Remember to kiss your kids!

5 comments:

Jobi Niu said...

LOVE LOVE LOVED THIS POST!! I agree, life is SO hard sometimes. I always need to remember that money doesn't buy happiness. Family is what matters most and tender moments like that. I got all choked up reading the lyrics to that song. LOVE the song! Cute pics too.

The Spigarelli Family said...

What a cute post! Love those moments that make live worth it. Thanks for sharing such great words. Addi is so cute and getting so big.

Fun Utah Mom said...

How sweet! What a cute song I love it!

Chelsea said...

So touching and perfectly said. This was a fabulous reminder! Thanks!

Ora said...

Love those lyrics. I finally took the time today to catch up reading your blog. You have such a cute family and I hope everything is going great for you guys!